Search This Blog

Friday 19 January 2018

*Review* Costa Coconut and Vanilla Latte's - Are Coconut Coffees a fad?

*I wasn't given the products or any incentive for this review, and all thoughts are my own*


Coconut coffees are something I've noticed more coffee shops offering. Even if you don't have a Costa near you, you might see coconut coffees offer somewhere else. Also for anyone who doesn't know Costa is a chain of Coffee Shops (similar to Starbucks). There's a lot of them in the UK, not sure about other countries.  So what is the point of a coconut coffee, is it just the syrup they add? No, they are made with coconut milk (some places use a combination of coconut/soy milk, but I'll refer to it as coconut milk for the rest of the post for ease) instead of normal milk. Because they are dairy free they're very popular with vegans and people who can't take dairy, but of course, anyone can order them. As a non-vegan the main reason I wanted to try one was because of the taste; I like coconut. I aslo wanted to see what the fuss was about? I was sceptical, would it change the taste of the drink too much?

 The drink I chose was a Coconut and Vanilla Latte. This is a latte drink with vanilla powder and made with coconut milk. Costa also does a Coconut Flat White and a Coconut Mocha. So onto the review (finally I hear you shout). 
My first opinion of the drink was that it looks really nice (see picture below), I think Costa always presents their drinks well, but the 'toasted coconut chips' on the top made it look even nicer than a normal latte.Now for the taste. I loved it, I would certainly order this or any other drink made with coconut milk again. It did taste different than a normal vanilla latte, but it tasted better. Yes, coconut does taste great in coffee folks. It also mixed very well with the vanilla, and I could taste the vanilla all the way through, whereas sometimes with an ordinary vanilla taste you can only taste the syrup at the bottom, or have to stir really well.This is probably because instead of a vanilla syrup they use a vanilla powder, anyway it made the drink nicer. The taste was sweeter than normal, and I love sweet things. It is also had really creamy thick texture to the drink, which you don't always get with a Latte; this might be a disadvantage for you but I enjoyed it. The toasted coconut chips lasted right to the end of the drink, I spooned them up with some froth when I had finished my coffee. They also added a different texture/element to the drink, which I thought was really tasty.

 So to finish if you like coconut I highly recommend trying a drink with coconut in. I'm looking forward to trying more coconut coffees soon. Have you tried a coconut coffee, are you interested in trying one?





2 comments:

  1. I don't like milky coffees, Kirsty, but bought back some coconut filter coffee bought at Barbados airport. It tasted amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad yes, I'm sure that would taste good too Sheila

      Delete